Sunday, March 1, 2009

Baby Update!

I thought that time was passing slowly until the baby got here. But I guess if it has already been 5 weeks since my last post that maybe it's not passing as slowly as I thought. A lot has gone on in the last few weeks. We have almost got the baby's room finished. We just need to get his dresser in there and get the fun stickers up on the walls! :) I have also had 2 baby showers! Both were a ton of fun! The first my cute sisters did for me. And the second my sweet Grandma through for me. Thanks again for coming and for all the cute stuff to those that came! And I am so excited I have another one on Thursday that Jess and another cute lady from my ward are doin' for me! :) It's gonna be fun.

We've had 2 doctor appointments since I last posted. The first one was rather uneventful other than getting some cute 3D shots of his face. :) I will hopefully post those tomorrow if I can remember to have Miche take them to work and scan them for me! But other than that we just saw that the baby was still breech, and were told not to worry that there was still time and we just had to wait it out. I of course stressed and worried in the weeks to follow. Reading up on anything I could do to make this little guy turn around and about what our options were if he didn't. Miche thinks I'm crazy to read all over the internet about stuff like that because often times I just end up scaring myself. But I have to be prepared. And not knowing scares me a lot more than reading all the gory details! So anyways, wait we did. I tried a few of the things I found on the net to try and turn him. But all were very uncomfortable, and quite honestly I don't think had any effect on him at all. (Stubborn little fellow!)

So I read up on what our options would likely be if he didn't decide to turn on his own. One of the things that I found was what is called an External Cephalic Version. Where they try and turn the baby from the outside while he is still in your tummy. Oh man did that not sound like a good time to me!!! Not only did it say it was OH so painful, but it is also risky to the baby, they may up having to do an emergency C-section anyways, it can throw you into labor, AND it only works about 50% of the time!! So I talked it over with the Michie and after much deliberation over a few days decided this was not the route I wanted to go. Too risky! So...from what I read, that left us with either a c-section, or I had read about some doctors being willing to try to deliver a breech baby normally. But, after reading up on THAT some more, and hearing some not so fun horror stories about babies being hurt in the process, I had pretty much decided against that too. So! Without doc's diagnosis of course, this just being through my own (pathetically extensive) online research. I had pretty much got it into my head that unless the doc insisted differently, it was either to have the little guy finally decide to turn on his own, or just plan on a c-section.

So I anxiously awaited our doctors appointment. It had to be 3 weeks from our last one this time instead of the usual 2 because our doc was gonna be out of town. So I had to wait for what seemed like FOREVER! But when Thursday finally rolled around, I was so relieved with what we heard!

First off, the baby had unfortunately not turned yet. He was still very much head up. I already knew that because I can see his little head poking up by my ribs all the time. But the doc confirmed it with the ultrasound. So I asked what we were gonna do. He checked my fluid and said that there is still plenty in there, so he has room to turn if he decides to. But he did not sound hopeful. And to be honest, I still have huge doubts. People keep sayin' "don't worry, there is still time." But please, he has been in this same position for at least 10 weeks now. And he doesn't move around that much as it is. I will be really surprised if he decides to. So, the doc mentioned that some people try to turn them from the outside, but to my relief he said that he didn't recommend it. It was painful, and according to him, only worked about 4o% of the time, and that included when it was tried on women that had had multiple kids and had very stretchy uteruses (sp?). And in his words "if it was me, I wouldn't do it". So that was a relief! So he said that we will just wait it out another week or so to see if he turns, and if not, just have to end up doin' a c-section. And if that's the case he said there is really no reason to wait for me to go into labor and that we could schedule it as early as a week before my due date. So for now that is the plan!!! And really, as much as I'm scared to be sliced open, and as bummed as I am not to be able to try to have him normally, it is kinda of nice to have a plan. To know when and where and how and be able to be prepared. I'm a control freak. I like to know what's going on!

That was the more part of the appointment. But I was also tested for Strep-B. And he checked me for the first time also to see if I was dialated yet. (that wasn't the most comfortable thing I have ever done.) And it was a no go, still a very tightly closed cervix. We saw on the ultrasound that the little dude had grown a little bit of hair! :) So that was exciting! Still not a huge amount, but at least that's a start! The doc also measured him with the u/s thingee and said that he was still pretty little. Just over 4 lbs approx. So instead of being around 7 3/4 lbs, he said it's going to be more like 7 at most! Probably in the 6's. So just tiny. :) That will be fun! And should he decide to flip, that will make delivery a lot easier! I was terrified of a big baby after my sister Carly's nearly 10 lb. little guy last year! We're excited to have just a tiny little fellow.

Other than baby stuff nothing has really been going on. We're just tryin to enjoy the time we have left together before he gets here and the craziness starts. And making sure we are all ready to go. Bags packed and all! (I had the most terrible nightmare the other night of going into labor and not having ANYTHING ready or packed...the next day we started packing.) But it's looking like unless he does a grand old flip he should be here in about 3 weeks! :) so exciting! I can hardly wait! Our next appointment is Thursday, so I will be sure to update after that with all the new stats as well as news from the baby shower! :)

No comments: